In the beautiful Baie des Anges lies the city of Nice which attracts thousands of sun-seeking tourists every year. Nice is most known for the 7 km long promenade des Anglais where people enjoy long walks or bicycle rides with a view over the Mediterranean. It runs all the way from the airport to the Castle Hill which has the best view in the city. Nice has a lot to offer its visitors no matter if you are interested in history, art or if you're simply looking for a relaxing beach holiday. To help you on your next visit, we have listed a few things to do or see in Nice!
1. Castle Hill - La Colline du Château
On the top of the hill that separates the Old Town and the port, lies the remnants of a Castle that once upon a time served as the center of the city. Now the area is a lush green park with paths that wind their way up the hill and then continues to intertwine with each other in seemingly confusing patterns. But once you make it up to the top it is well worth the little hike ( you can also take the elevator if you don't feel like climbing the stairs), there are several viewpoints that will take your breath away. The best time to visit is definitely at sunset when the colors of the sky create a beautiful show. And do not miss the waterfall that creates a little oasis in between the greenery.
2. Promenade des Anglais
The 7 km long promenade is perfect for a stroll in the sun and is often packed with people enjoying the ocean breeze. If you feel like a bit more action you can always rent a "velo bleu" bike from one of the many rental stations along the promenade. It's also where a lot of locals get their daily exercise and if you feel like it, you should definitely try and catch the sunset one early morning to experience the silence before the city comes to life, it is almost magical.
If you are in the mood for some shopping you should head over to Jean Medecin where most of the shops are located. The Tram runs along the entire street which makes it easily accessible. About halfway up the street, you can find the Nice Etoile shopping center which offers around 100 different shops, cafes, and restaurants. If you are looking to do more souvenir shopping, you should head over to the old town of Nice where you can find small boutiques with local products.
4. Vieille VilleThe small alleyways and colorful buildings make you feel like you are in a small French Village, the old town of Nice is a must for every visitor and you should definitely take your time to get lost in the maze of small cobbled streets. Here you will find a lot of restaurants that serve everything from traditional French cuisine to Japanese food and Spanish tapas. You should also get some nice souvenirs while you are there, the lavender products are the most popular.
For art lovers, there are several good museums in Nice! you can easily spend a few days just visiting museums during your stay. We have listed a few of the most popular ones.
* Musee Matisse
* Villa Massena Musee
* Musee National Marc Chagall
* MAMAC* Theater of Photographs and Pictures
6. Taste local food
One of the most important things to do when you travel is to taste the local cuisine and we promise that the "cuisine Nicoise" won't disappoint. The most famous one is probably "Socca" which a delicious chickpea pancake that should preferably be enjoyed fresh, straight out of the oven. The traditional Salade Nicoise is a must when you're in town and another favorite is the Pan Bagnat which basically is a salade Nicoise in a round sandwich. A Pissaladiere is a form of pie with lots of onions and anchovies on top.
7. Mont Boron
If you are looking for some more greenery you should head up to Mont Boron which is the hill between Nice and Villefranche. It is a perfect place for a hike or a nice picnic. There are many picnic tables placed among the greenery that attracts families and groups of friends that need a break from the hustle and the bustle of the city. But the best thing about Mont Boron is definitely the spectacular view over Villefranche and Saint-Jean-Cap-Ferrat.
8. BeachNo matter what time of the year you are visiting Nice, you should spend some time on the beach. If you do not want to work on your tan you can stop at a local boulangerie and get some lunch and then sit down on one of the iconic blue chairs along the promenade. In this way, you can still enjoy the beach and listen to the waves come crashing in. if you are looking for more of an adventure you stop at one of the Jetskii rental agencies on the beach. Or opt for a more relaxing activity and rent a kayak or go standup paddle boarding
9. Russian ChurchThis must seem like a bit of an odd sight to see in France but the St Nicholas Russian Cathedral is a historic monument and a beautiful building. The building was built in 1912 and the colorful and decorative design attracts a lot of visitors. It is well worth a visit if you are in the area.
If you are going to the French Riviera for your next vacation, visit our website on www.rivieraluxuryrentals.com/en or send us an email at contact@RivieraLuxuryRentals.com and we will help you find a perfect Luxury rental villa!